skip links | Help :: Accessibility :: Text size A A A :: Login/out
.

Pocklington Canal

Waterway
Waterway name
Pocklington Canal
Information
Information

The Pocklington Canal is 15 kilometres long and follows a course from the Canal Head, 1.5 kilometres southwest of Pocklington Town Centre, to East Cottingwith, where it meets the River Derwent. Short ‘arms’ extend toward the villages of Bielby and Melbourne.


The canal was built between 1815 and 1818, to enable local farmers to transport produce to the rapidly expanding industrial towns of West Yorkshire. A relatively late canal, it operated commercially for a short period of time and only a few of its traditional warehouses and canal side structures remain.


All nine of the waterway’s locks, and four brick road bridges, are Grade II listed structures.


The canal is currently navigable from East Cottingwith to Melbourne, though agreement has been reached in principle between partners to extend navigation to Bielby in the context of a broader successful funding bid.


The canal falls within the wider landscape of the Lower Derwent Valley, which, in addition to SSSI status, also receives international recognition as a Special Protection Area (SPA), SAC and Ramsar site. Virtually the entire length of the canal falls within one of three separate SSSIs, with the waterway also forming parts of Melbourne and Thornton Ings and Derwent Ings.


The canal is fed by Pocklington Beck, a chalk stream that rises high in the Yorkshire Wolds, and is classified as a ‘Main River’ by the Environment Agency.


The canal is accessible via a permitted footpath for much of its length, with the stretch between Canal Head and Coates Bridge designated as a Public Bridleway.

Pocklington Canal (Marion Blockley)
Pocklington Canal (Marion Blockley)
Pocklington Canal (Vaughan Grantham)
Pocklington Canal (Vaughan Grantham)
Location
Pocklington
YO42 1NW
United Kingdom